Increasingly employees are using text messaging to contact coworkers, managers, customers, and vendors. In general, there is no problem with this – texting is fast, easy and works to get quick messages across.
Recently, when I was on a video shoot. I was able to quickly handle questions and communicate a change of plans through text messages to the crew. It got the change of plans across quickly and efficiently. So, I know it’s a huge help. At the same time, text messaging (like e-mail and social media) can cause problems if handled incorrectly in the workplace.
Here are some guidelines that can help avoid pitfalls. Think about these when you text customers, coworkers, and vendors:
- Make Sure It’s OK Before You Start: Some people are more comfortable with texting for work than others. Make sure it’s OK to send them a work-related text. They may prefer an email or a call.
- Avoid Emoticons and Abbreviation: Work-related text messages should be more factual and more formal. It’s safer for you and avoids confusion.
- Check Spelling (and watch out for AutoCorrect): It’s not a big deal if your text has one or two typos if you’re sending it to a friend of a family member. It can be bad for you (and your company) if it happens with a customer, boss or coworker. So, check your messages before you hit “send”. Don’t believe me? Check out this fun clip from “Ellen”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oivWKzaVOO4
- Respond: Since texting is immediate, people will want to know if you’ve received the message. Make sure you respond to their text promptly.
- Think About Your Tone: Sometimes your humor or your message might be misinterpreted. Make sure you’re clear. Avid humor and sarcasm as it may be misinterpreted.
- Pause and Reread: It's always a good idea to check your text before you hit sent. Read the text to make sure that AutoCorrect hasn't changed anything and that the tone is OK.
- If Your Message Is Complicated, Don’t Send A Text: Think before you start a text message. Is your message long or complicated? If so, maybe a call or an email would be more appropriate.
We have a new training program that can help employees navigate texting at work. It’s called “Your Words Matter.” This program provides practical advice on Test Messages, Social Media and emails. There’s a free preview at our website – so you might want to check it out.
I love electronic communications! Emails, text messages, social media are all easy, convenient, and often a lot of fun. These messages allow me to have more contact with customers, vendors, friends, and family.
At the same time, I worry about this. I often ask myself, “Am I saying something that might be misinterpreted? What if my messages become public? If a major news outlet published what I said, would it reflect poorly on me professionally or on my company?” I try to think of this when I’m sending my messages. And I talk about this with everyone I know both at work and socially.
Every day in the news, it seems that someone has gotten into hot water because of something they said on Facebook, Twitter, or in an email. People seem to forget that their words matter.
That’s why we created a new program called (not surprisingly) “Your Words Matter.”
In this new program, we look at electronic communications. Through dramatic vignettes, we explore some of the things that can go wrong and provide some practical advice for avoiding these pitfalls. Here’s a trailer that shows what this program is all about:
If you’d like to see the complete preview, you can visit our website:
- One Low Price: Whether you purchase the "basic" package which offers over 350 programs for $16.50 per employee per month (annual plan) or the "Complete" package which offers over 1,800 programs for $24.95 per employee per month (annual plan option) Trainflix® has an answer for you.
- Hundreds of Courses: You can choose from over 1,800 courses.
- Unlimited Access: Each employee will have unlimited access to all the programs on Trainflix®.
- Watch from Anywhere: With Trainflix® you can access programs from your desktop, laptop, smartphone, or tablet using our iOS and Android applications. Start the course on your laptop and finish on your phone!
- FREE One Week Trial: You and two of your colleagues can try out Trainflix®. for free. Sign up - there's no credit card required.
- Improve Customer Service: Motivate each member of your team and improve their customer service skills – in person, on the phone or via email. It's all available to you on Trainflix®.
- Improve Communication: Learn how to communicate more effectively. With the programs on Trainflix® you'll improve listening skills and learn how to delegate and make meetings more efficient, productive and effective.
- Develop Skills: Whether you are a manager, supervisor or an employee who is seeking to improve your skills, Trainflix® has a video to meet your needs. You can learn new selling skills or gain insights into self-improvement and personal productivity. You can find out how your team can perform better or learn how to deal with organizational change. It's all available to you – immediately on demand.
- Find Solutions for Workplace Problems: Do you have to deal with a problem employee? Do you need to discuss a delicate topic like an employee's attitude, tardiness or personal hygiene? You'll find programs to help you deal with all these issues plus many more on Trainflix®.
- Motivate Your Team: You can motivate your team to higher levels of success with our motivational videos. See how Sam Glenn can give your team a "Kick in the Attitude" or make the office more positive and productive with "The Happiness Advantage."
- Learn From the Best: Trainflix® has some of the world's leading experts. You can learn from "In Search of Excellence" co-authors Tom Peters and Bob Waterman, Harvard Business School Professor John Kotter, or best-selling authors Shawn Achor, Lou Holtz, Dewitt Jones, Jennifer James, Morris Massey, Loretta Laroche, Laura Goodrich, Joel Barker, Paul Timm and many more. All these experts are available to you at any time!
- Energize your Meetings: Do you need to sparkle up a meeting? Try the Muppet Meeting Films, The Barkles and many others! Make any meeting more fun and exciting. All these are available to you on Trainflix®.
- Learn How to Comply with Government Regulations: Whether you're trying to meet standards for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or trying to reduce sexual harassment claims, you can find programs that will help everyone in your organization.
- Healthcare: If you're looking for specific programs that contain healthcare training for customer service, safety and patient care we have it on Trainflix®.
- Safety: If you are looking for compliance programs with safety instructions we have them! Keep your staff and your workplace safe.
We’re happy to announce a new Happiness Advantage workshop… and Enterprise Media is able to offer you a $200 discount on the workshop (good through February 28)! Here’s just a sampling of what you’ll learn:
- Learn how to put The Happiness Advantage to work
- Use “The Orange Frog” – a parable based book to help simplify the principles
- Increase productivity and employee satisfaction
- Reduce turnover and increase engagement
- Meet Shawn Achor
- Train the Trainer Opportunities
Here is the link to sign up: http://orangefrogbook.com/registration1/
2014 Year End Sales
There are a number of sales on our training programs through the end of the year. Enterprise Media is offering 20% off… and many other producers have sales too. Here is a list of all the end of year sales!!!
- Buy 1 DVD, get 20% off
- Plus industry, so total discount:
- 20% all customers
- 30% State and Local Government and Nonprofit
- 40% Education
- 45% GSA - Federal Government Customers
- Buy 2 -5 DVDs, get 20% Off
- Buy 6 or more, get 30% Off
- Programs Listed at $995 reduced to $745
- Programs Listed at 795 & $895 reduced to $595
- Programs Listed at $595 to $695 reduced to $445
- Programs Listed at $485 & $495 reduced to $345
- 5 programs for $1995.00
- Buy One Get the Second One 50% off
- Choose a 3rd for 75% off
- Choose a 4th for $1.00
- Any 3 Titles 30% Off
- Buy 1 DVD, get 20% off
- Plus industry, so total discount:
- 20% all customers
- 30% all government customers
- 45% non profit and education
- Buy one, get the second one 50% off!
- $100 off one program OR Buy 2 Get 1 free